[LAU] Massive Xruns during recording

Peter list at schmitteckert.com
Thu Nov 30 16:34:58 UTC 2017

Dear Jeanette,

Am 30.11.2017 um 16:54 schrieb Jeanette C.:
> Hey hey,
> after further analysis, I find that my hard drive seems to be the problem. I can't write fast enough. Playback of multiple tracks is no issue (ca. 10 stereo tracks, 32bit, 48kHz), but 5 stereo tracks, even from an external source,
> start to generate hiccoughs.
>
> Can it be that the drive is really that bad, or is there a parameter to tune, so this could be improved?

this looks indeed pretty slow, is it an external usb-2 drive?
You may perform a simple check:

sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda

Replace sda with your device.

If your are just recording, can you increase the buffer length in jack?
I was recently recording 32 mono channels  and got initially lots of xruns in ardour,
which disappeared after increasing the buffer size in jack.

Best regards,
Peter