[LAU] Massive Xruns during recording

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Nov 30 17:21:43 UTC 2017

Nov 30 2017, Peter has written:
Dear Peter,
> this looks indeed pretty slow, is it an external usb-2 drive?
No, it's an internal S-Ata drive, apparently a SAMSUNG HD154UI.
> You may perform a simple check:
>
> sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
For cached reads this averages around 1200 MB/Sec, for buffered reads
around 108 MB/Sec. I didn't find an option to test the writing speed. As
a write test, I tried this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=out.file bs=1M count=100
with a result of around 560MB/Sec
> If your are just recording, can you increase the buffer length in jack?
I could, but I already have it a period size of 256. At 512 I started to
get a noticeable delay. With cards that can potentially go down to 64
samples, I feel a - perhaps unreasonable - hesitation to set the period
higher. Is this very unreasonable?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------