[LAU] firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Oct 4 06:52:09 UTC 2017

Michael Jarosch <riotsound-zkUTfjcpxgd7BRZiorVuVg at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2017, 14:49 -1000 schrieb David W. Jones:
>
>> I wonder if one of the FW=>Thunderbolt adaptors would work to connect
>> to a non-Mac?
>
> Assuming, Pauls conclusion is right (and it's the same thing they say
> on the FFADO-list, as well): If the chipset on the adaptor is supported
> by linux (most TI ones are a good bed AFAIK) it will work.
>
> I don't think there will ever be a USB2Firewire - and if there will be
> one, I don't think it will be capable to realise realtime-audio.

I think USB2.0 and following allow for reserving realtime slots, and
USB3 finally should also have the necessary bandwidth.  But the
prospective market for USB->Firewire adapters does not really make
developing a useful chipset and driver support attractive.

There _are_ dirt-cheap USB2->FW cables to be found on Ebay, however
(they are cheaper than proper Firewire cables, presumably because the
USB connector is cheaper).  Their pricing does not really seem
compatible with active components, but I haven't tried.

--
David Kastrup