[LAU] Hoontech DSP24 with DSP C-Port 2000: how do I use the line in/out of the pci card in JACK?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Oct 4 20:44:52 UTC 2017

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Athanasios Silis wrote:

> Hi all ,I am using the Hoontech DSP24 with DSP C-Port 2000 for music production.
> This is similar to Midiman L1010 card , which has the same chipset (ice1712) and
> a fairly similar card architecture/implementation. So if you are an owner of

With some differences :) I have a delta 66.

> where for card2:
>       $ cat /proc/asound/pcm

Use this one which has 8 Analog inputs, 2 digital and 2 internal from the
mixer output (total 12) and 8 analog outputs and 2 spdif outputs (total
10):
> 02-00: ICE1712 multi : ICE1712 multi : playback 1 : capture 1

This one is an AC97... My personal opinion is "avoid like the plague"
> 02-01: ICE1712 consumer : ICE1712 consumer : playback 1 : capture 1

This one is an AC97 digital (optical surround by the number of outputs,
which is sort of like s/pdif, but the spdif should be included in the
multi so probably not useful either:
> 02-02: ICE1712 consumer (DS) : ICE1712 consumer (DS) : playback 6

I think that is the way it should be... but it looks like yours is not the
same as one of the delta units if you can only see one i/o on the multi
(not stereo?) What does it look like in jack?

> I start up jack with master card the #2 as:
>       $ pasuspender -- jackd -S -dalsa -dhw:DSP24,0 -r44100 -p64 -n2
>
> not sure if this is correct, but I get to see all the channels I expect at least
> (which is weird because here I see that device 2:0 apparently has only 1p and 1c
> port ?!?!?!? Can someone explain?)

I would say that if you can see all 12/10 on multi, don't bother with the
AC97 stuff, sync will be problematic and bit depth is probably 16 not the
24bit you have with multi. In the case of the digital 6 out, I think the
R/L are 16bit and the rest are 12bit non-linear. However to use it, I
think you need a licenced encoder. (unless there is firware that does that
for you included)

I would point out that "consumer" in computer audio means reasonably good
quallity output (not studio though) and audio input that is only good for
telphony (ie. Skype) (at least that has been my experience with most AC97
or HDA audio systems)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net