[LAU] how can I send a midi command from bash through jack to my HW controller?

Athanasios Silis athanasios.silis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 23:35:28 UTC 2017

Hi all,
I have a BCR2000 and would like to use a script to set some values on these
knobs and buttons.

amidi should be able to help me do that but I somehow cannot properly set
the name of the port in order to use it. Note, jackd server is up and
running and then I also use the "aj2midid" midi bridge to populate hw and
software midi ports in jack,

So even though I thought this would be easy , I am stuck somewhere.

The command I am trying to use is
amidi -p"14:0" -S <3x bytes depicting the midi CC command>

now port "14" SHOULD be the "Midi Through port as it appears in qjackctl's
"midi" tab. I got it from
$ aconnect -i -o
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'TerraTec DMX6Fire' [type=kernel]
    0 'MIDI-Front DMX6fire 0'
   32 'Wavetable DMX6fire 0'
client 24: 'Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24' [type=kernel]
    0 'MIDI-1 Hoontech/STA DSP24 2'
   32 'MIDI-2 Hoontech/STA DSP24 2'
client 28: 'Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24' [type=kernel]
    0 'MIDI-1 Hoontech/STA DSP24 3'
   32 'MIDI-2 Hoontech/STA DSP24 3'
client 32: 'BCR2000' [type=kernel]
    0 'BCR2000 MIDI 1  '
    1 'BCR2000 MIDI 2  '
    2 'BCR2000 MIDI 3  '

but running "amidi -p14:0 -S <hexbytes>" returns
cannot open port "14:0": No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

thank you in advance for your help