[LAU] how can I send a midi command from bash through jack to my HW controller?

Athanasios Silis athanasios.silis at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 01:20:03 UTC 2017

Hi all and thank you for your immediate responses.
In the end what I was looking for was not the "midi through port" but a
virtual midi port.
To do that I had to add in /etc/modules-load.d/audio.conf
snd-virmidi midi_devs=1 index=5

then I could see
$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
..... (other devices) .....
IO  hw:5,0    Virtual Raw MIDI (16 subdevices)

and at the same time it would show up in jack's "midi" tab
then I could simply use it as

amidi -phw:5,0 -S <hexbytes>

and the midi msg was surely enough sent correctly to the HW controller.

Thank you for your help!
I hope this helps others as well