[LAU] ffado and new PC

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Oct 17 15:01:03 UTC 2017

Mac <ussndmac-xwVYE8SWAR3R7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I built a new PC and installed Ubuntu Studio 16.04.
>
> The PC has a firewire card.
>
> lsmod | grep fire
> firewire_ohci          40960  0
> firewire_core          65536  1 firewire_ohci
> crc_itu_t              16384  1 firewire_core
>
> ffado-diag claims these aren't there:
>
>    libraw1394 ....
>    libavc1394 ....
>    libiec61883 ...
>    libxml++-2.6 .
>
> But, apt says they are.
>
> jack_control fails to start the server if the firewire driver is selected.
> But, starts ok if alsa is selected.
>
> Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas/pointers appreciated.

A Firewire card is not able to play audio on its own.  You have to
connect a Firewire soundcard or equivalent to it.

The purpose of ffado-diag is to create a bunch of useful information for
diagnosing someone's setup.

Posting its output (_after_ connecting a Firewire audio device) would
have been a lot more helpful than your information-scrubbed summary.

--
David Kastrup