[LAU] Best practices when using jackd over a LAN.

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Tue Oct 31 23:27:51 UTC 2017

Hi

I have been using jackd to play music from my laptop -> server -> hifi.

It works well apart from I will get dropouts in the audio now and
then. I have been looking at the options for client and server and
trying all sorts of things to try to fix the dropouts, but I can't
seem to cure the problem.

My laptop is connected via cable rather than wifi.

NIC on laptop:

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 04)

NIC on server:

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit
Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)

Jackd command on laptop:

set_rlimits /usr/bin/jackd -dnetone -n60 -I0 -O0 -r44100

Jackd command on server:

set_rlimits /usr/bin/jackd -P 10 -p128 -t10000 -dalsa -dhw:DGX,1 -r48000 -p128 -n3
-P -I32
jack_netsource -H raven -r50000 -n1 -i2 -o2 -I0 -O0

I've been trying out different latency settings on server and client,
but they either don't make any difference, or jackd refuses to start.

Any ideas for getting rid of dropouts/xruns on the network?

Dave