[LAU] win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Fri Sep 1 21:05:30 UTC 2017

Hi

I have an arturia beatstep pro, that unfortunately needs a win/mac-only sofrware, midi control center (mcc for short) for a USB midi connection to upgrade firmware, even change settings and save projects. Previously I ran win7 in virtualbox, but today I tried running mcc through wine, and it worked. Almost.

It doesn't recognize the beatstep pro. In windows it works like this: If the beatstep pro is connected (USB) while the mcc is running, the beatstep pro boots in a special "update" mode ("upd" in display) resulting in it getting a different device name, which I suspect is what mcc is looking for.

The beatstep pro can be forced to boot in update-mode by pressing, record+play+stop while powering on, which changes the name:

normal mode:
atte at pandrup:~$ aconnect -io| grep BeatStep
client 20: 'Arturia BeatStep Pro' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'Arturia BeatStep Pro MIDI 1'
    1 'Arturia BeatStep Pro MIDI 2'

update mode (as is the rest of the output):
atte at pandrup:~$ aconnect -io| grep BeatStep
client 20: 'BeatStepPro Updater' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'BeatStepPro Updater MIDI 1'

atte at pandrup:~$ ll -t /dev/ | head
total 0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root tty       5,   2 Sep  1 22:57 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        3.3K Sep  1 22:56 char
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,  25 Sep  1 22:56 dmmidi1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,  18 Sep  1 22:56 midi1
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root         320 Sep  1 22:56 snd
crw-rw----  1 root tty       7,   7 Sep  1 22:50 vcs7
crw-rw----  1 root tty       7, 135 Sep  1 22:50 vcsa7
crw-------  1 root root    244,   1 Sep  1 22:50 drm_dp_aux1
crw-------  1 root root    244,   0 Sep  1 22:50 drm_dp_aux0

The devices char, mmidi1, midi1 and snd appears at the same time as the beatstep pro is plugged in, so I guess either dmmidi1 and midi1 are the ones to target.

atte at pandrup:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:b573 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1c7a:0570 LighTuning Technology Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:e09f Foxconn / Hon Hai
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1c75:0207

Obviously it's a lots guesswork, but I'd appreciate any input that might get me nearer a working solution. Can I change anything in wines configuration? Could anything else be done to make mcc in wine see the beatstep pro midi device?

Thanks in asvance...
--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk