[LAU] win: arturia midi control center <-> beat step pro

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 2 09:26:19 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 11:07:43 +0200, Atte wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> a Windows 7 guest is worry-free
>
>Ok, basically, you're saying it might be too great a hastle to get it
>working in wine, and I should rather do what I did before: virtualbox
>with "real" windows. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I suspect
>you're right...
>
>Thanks for the input!

Yes!

I tested wine several times with different software and used vbox
OSE with XP. When XP didn't work anymore for iTunes, I installed
Windows 7.

Wine is a PITA. The vbox OES release could work good when using a
release model distro, but also is a PITA when using a rolling release.
The easiest way to go, is using vbox non-OSE. Other VMs might have
advantages over vbox, but they aren't that easy to set up. Upstream of
wine seems to care about some apps, I suspect photoshop might run
without issues, but I tried to run e.g. the Korg nanocontrol software
as well as iTunes under wine and both failed, even while some versions
should work, there actually is no choice for e.g. iTunes, since the
iTunes version needs to fit to the connected device's iOS version.