[LAU] MOTU AVB series sample rate issue, JACK, and PulseAudio

Be be.0 at gmx.com
Tue Sep 19 18:59:38 UTC 2017

On 09/19/2017 01:44 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> In my opinion, run jackd as your audio backend and use PA only as a
> desktop front end bridged to jack.

Yeah, that seems to be the best course of action. I set QJackCtl to load
on KDE startup and put this in Options > Execute script after Startup in
QJackCtl's settings:

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=18; pactl load-module
module-jack-source channels=18; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out

That tells PulseAudio to send audio to JACK by default. (On Fedora I had
to install pulseaudio-module-jack for that). Configuring PulseAudio to
not load its ALSA backend would be annoying because I sometimes use my
onboard sound card on my laptop outside of home (not for music,
generally for hearing speech in videos).

But this is still annoying because JACK won't start when I plug in the
Ultralite AVB until I wait a few seconds. Plus I have to make sure the
Ultralite AVB's sample rate is set to the same sample rate I have JACK
configured for, and if not, change it with the controls on the Ultralite
AVB.

  Pulse should be started with both the