[LAU] Lossy compression quality etc. [WAS] Re: Music: Too Late for Goodbyes ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Sep 29 18:43:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 14:38:38 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Opus is pretty remarkable in terms of quality [2] vs. compression
> rates... Wonder why it's not spreading faster.

A bit on the subject, youtube has added normalization stats.  It will show
normalization amongst other data.  Right/click on a video, 'Stats for
nerds'.  Taking a video I listened-to recently, "Resistance is futile"
by Laibach, the following is shown:

Volume/Normalized   100%/62% (contents loudness 4.2 dB)
Codecs   vp9 (244) / opus (251)