[LAU] It's 2018 and ...

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Apr 17 22:57:26 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 22:40:38 +0200
Francesco Ariis <fa-ml at ariis.it> wrote:

> In case you have not found it already,
>
>     https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/no-sound-firefox-59-linux

Well, let's see.

"If the PulseAudio service, which manages audio hardware, is not already
running then Firefox will fail to start it due to sandboxing. Most
desktop environments start PulseAudio..."

All right !

Let's take a look.

 % ps aux | grep pul
 [...]
 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

I can put on the table $100 that this config has not changed in years.
And $500 that it did not change right before upgrading fierefox.  And I
can bet $1000 that the system starts with that and that the system does
not start with firefox running.

And so, what do they say ?

"What you can do

If you are affected, try one of these workarounds:

   1) Run pulseaudio --start --exit-idle-time=-1 from a terminal.

   2) More advanced: Add that command to a script that's run at login
(for example, .xinitrc if you use startx). Use Firefox Beta 60, which
has a fix for this bug. "

Could it be that the missing '--exit-idle-time=-1' causes the problem ?

   "3) Download Firefox Beta here. "

I'll wait for the distro update.  Enough problem as it is with firefox
to not add on top of that by getting it from people who have less clues.

(I bet (no amount) that version 60 solves the problem and that the
problem is not what they describe)

BTW, were they too busy shoving this annoying useless Pocket thingApp
in their browser ?