[LAU] Odd volume issue with jackd

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Apr 23 20:39:08 CEST 2018

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Am 23.04.2018 um 20:23 schrieb Mark Raynsford:
>>  Any ideas what might be causing this?
>
> Are the sound generators on your workstation jack clients or pulseaudio
> clients? In case of the latter, maybe you just need to set pulseaudio
> mixer levels, for example with pavucontrol.

Ya that too. I had not thought of the possibility that pulse clients might
be a part of this... but aside from tweaking more than one control on the
alsa side, pulse also has a gain stage of it's own. Pulse's levels can be
changed by the client program which may not seem like a big deal... except
for programs like Skype that use these levels for AGC rather than their
own gain stage. This means the pulse level while using such a program may
change on it's own depending on room noise for echo/feedback cancelation.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net