[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Aug 10 21:00:15 CEST 2018

On Fri, August 10, 2018 11:13 am, jonetsu wrote:
> Thanks for the well-known references, if it's ironic of course :)
> IMHO, Tlucco only fits remotely in there.

That is the problem and also the advantage of "pop" style music, even if
it is not completely mainstream.  The problem is that if a composition
does not fit very closely with an existing example, words are not very
good for creating associations.  Also the advantage of pop music is that
you can modify a few elements, but still give the listener some reference
point, it can sound new but really just be a variant of an existing style,
far enough removed that it is not classified the same, but still close
enough that the listener is not  completely baffled.
You could change rhythms, instrumental timbre, even enrich harmonic
language a little bit.  You could not likely get away with 12-tone serial
composition even with a nice dance beat.

So no, I did not mean that Tlucco fits exactly with either of those two
bands I referenced, but just to indicate that finding lyrics of "true" pop
style like might be found in songs performed by Ariana Grande, Taylor
Swift, Alessia Cara (just to pick a few names from the Billboard Hot 100
list this week) would not necessarily fit, but maybe darker or more
introspective lyrics that lean more in the direction of those bands could
fit the feel of the music.

--
Chris C