[LAU] New DACs, perhaps 384k bluetooth, with Linux?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Thu Aug 23 14:18:59 CEST 2018

Well, my lovely Onyx Artist 1-2 is not powering up consistently, so
it's time to look for a new DAC for the Box of No Return .  I did a
mid-deep survey last night, and am fascinated at the newly large
category of "headphone amplifiers", all of them USB2 or 3 and usually
driverless, some of them bluetooth, several of them (e.g., this FiiO,
this Fosi, many others) advertising bluetooth 4.2 or 5.0 and 384kHz max
sampling rates and four or five codecs I had never heard of.     I'd
like to spend vaguely US$100, am willing to consider higher.  I prefer
dual 1/4" mono phone jack outs, or single or dual XLR; the Peavey USB-P
would be great if it were 96kHz; but the "headphone amplifier" category
clearly goes for 1/8" stereo, not my favorite because they wear out so
easily.

I'd love to go 96kHz bluetooth if it's solid under Linux with JACK, but
my impressions thus far is that that may be a path fraught with peril
:-)  I don't actually need minimum latency, I do need high
reliability.  Experiences anyone?  Thoughts and recommends?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com    (785)233-9977
Hear us at ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 available!