[LAU] JACK_NO_AUDIO_RESERVATION

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sun Aug 26 23:03:01 CEST 2018

On 2018-08-26 07:35:14 (-0700), Minie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a user of Archlinux ARM with Raspberry pi3. When starting JACK, the
> following error appears.
>
> Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation: Unable to
> autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11.
> To bypass device reservation via session bus, set
> JACK_NO_AUDIO_RESERVATION=1 prior to starting jackd.
>
> I attempted to append JACK_NO_AUDIO_RESERVATION=1 to jackdrc, but jackdrc is
> missing anywhere. Please tell me how to avoid errors.
Please make sure, that your dbus user service actually started (as it
should be enabled by default!).

`systemctl --user status dbus` should show something like "Loaded:
loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/dbus.service; static; vendor preset:
enabled)", unless Arch Linux ARM decided to disable this by default now.

Also: How do you start jack?
If you're adventurous, you can start the daemon with a systemd user
service:

Create a local directory to hold the service file:
`mkdir -p ~/.config/systemd/user/`

Copy something like the following (please apply JACK parameters that
actually work for your device!):

```
[Unit]
Description=JACK
After=sound.target local-fs.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackd -P80 -p 512 -d alsa -d hw:PCH,0 -n 2 -p 256 -r
44100

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
```

to ~/.config/systemd/user/jack.service

After a `systemctl --user daemon-reload` you can use `systemctl --user
start jack` to start this service.

You can then also use `systemctl --user enable jack` in case you want to
enable it to be run, as soon as the user session starts - if you enable
linger for your user, that will be started automaticaly during boot:
`loginctl enable-linger` as your user.

Best,
David

--