[LAU] command line midi processing

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Wed Aug 29 23:55:31 CEST 2018

Aug 29 2018, Francesco Ariis has written:
> Ah! I was thinking of the former, but I would gladly hear ideas about
> the latter too!
> What would be the way? If it can be of help, I am using a soundfont to
> render the MIDI file.
Hm, if I remember correctly soundfonts do support some synthesis
options. You might be able to edit your soundfont for a shorter attack.
Otherwise midish (www.midish.org) is a commandline tool to edit MIDI. It
comes with its own bash-like scripting language. You could pipe a script
to it and change the sound to something more convenient in your
soundfont, using program change.
Generally: you'd "import" the file, using a pc or xpc event to change
the program on certain channels and export the result to another MIDI
file.

There's also a perl application called midiedit, not sure how much that
can do though, I seem to remember that it was a bit more interactive.

I also seem to recall an application called midi2txt or midi2text and
the converter back to MIDI.

Another option might be to choose a different instrument in ABC. If all
of that doesn't meet your ideas, then you could write or look for a
procedure in Csound, it can read and write MIDI. Exchanging
sound/programs should be trivial. If there's nothing out there, I'm sure
it could be quickly written (by someone other than yourself preferrably?
:) ).

Best wishes and good luck,

Jeanette

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there. <3
(Britney Spears)