[LAU] 1625 [music]

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Dec 3 12:25:17 CET 2018

Hi Paul,

re: 1625 :

> if you could:
>
>    (a) do the hour long version
>    (b) come over and run my VCV Rack install for me
>
> that would just fine. Lovely work, as usual! Such nice tone taste.

Thank you ! I'd be happy to do both, but alas, my time is limited, we're
moving into new digs this week. Sorry about that. :)

I had you and Will Godfrey in mind after working on this one, I hoped
you'd enjoy it. I do have a second section prepared - it adds about
another four minutes to the piece - I just have to figure a way to merge
the essential aspects of the continuation into the original patch. Rack
is not yet optimized nor does it support multicores so I have to be
careful about patch size, there's a tipping point that sends its
performance into xrun hell.

Regarding the sounds: I use fairly simple modules for sound creation in
Rack, doing so makes me think about ways to subvert their simplicity. I
also use only a few straightforward effects (reverb, chorus, tremolo), I
find it helps to keep the textures clear.

I had hoped to present a "composing with VCV Rack" paper at LAC 2019 but
our move puts that notion to rest. Dang.

Best always,

dp