[LAU] [New music]: The attic

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 9 11:59:44 CET 2018

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 19:55:52 -1000, david wrote:
>I've found that Mellotron sounds I liked in the days of vinyl playing
>on a turntable, I don't like so much when listened to in digital
>forms. Maybe the digital versions are too clean?

Hi,

I don't have it right at hand, but somewhere in my collection of free
samples, there are Mellotron flute samples recorded from a damaged
Mellotron, that sound less clean, than what I hear, if I play my
decades old Sgt. Pepper's vinyl. However, I agree that some Mellotron
samples are less good than other. I didn't listen to Jeanette's
recording yet. Usually the Mellotron flute samples are the only
Mellotron sounds I like to use. For example synthesizer nowadays provide
polyphony, so we don't need high quality Mellotron recordings of mono
synthesizers anymore. Using Mellotron sounds only makes sense, if we
could hear artifacts caused by the Mellotron. Worn out tapes,
drop-outs, little mechanical damages of the tape players, wow and
flutter etc. should be audible. Those quality flaws are even more
needed for digital recordings, than they were needed for an analog
chain, from the analog studio to vinyl.

Regards,
Ralf