[LAU] Looking for voice recording suggestions

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Dec 15 00:14:45 CET 2018

<hollundertee at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently taking part in a game jam and I'll have to do a whole lot
> of voice recordings tomorrow.
> I have barely any experience with that.
>
> I do have a laptop, USB audio interface, mic, stand and a bunch of
> questions.
>
> 1) Room: Besides corridors and such I have access to a roughly 2x10 m
> room or a bigger room, I guess 10x20 m. I guess go for the bigger one?
> They are both rather empty, safe for tables and chairs.
>
> 2) Recording software? Ardour, something simpler?
>
> 3) Post processing, normalization of some sort. I'll have at least four
> total amateur voice actors and all in all hundreds of lines.
>
> 4) What did I forget?

Leaving enough time to actually incorporate advice or do some
experimentation?

You have four voice actors, a likely reverbating room and a single
microphone?  If you want to get four actors with a single mic, you need
a reasonably wide characteristic and that does not mesh all that well
with a reverbating room.  I'd have used something like a H2 Zoom (which
has 4 built-in mics) where you can sit your actors around and afterwards
try mixing down to stereo in a useful manner.  That also means minimal
equipment to hassle with.  It also assumes that you don't need studio
quality recordings.  But if you do, I think you already have a problem
given the equipment you are planning with.

--
David Kastrup