[LAU] Looking for voice recording suggestions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 15 22:57:42 CET 2018

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 22:08:00 +0100, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:
>Turns out some people turned the mic to face the opposing wall rather
>than the corner without me noticing.

They always do this, hence my warning!

>> If you have highpass filters, use them while recording if possible.
>> Cut out everything below 100 Hz.
>
>I didn't apply any effects during recording. Does it matter whether it
>is done during the recording or in post?

Yesno! In Germany it's called "Trittschallfilter", loosely translated
"footstep filter". If you use it during the recording, it could be
useful, since it does suppress consequences of unwanted noise, such as
a footstep or hum. A footstep noise for example could cause a peak > 0 dBFS,
something you can't fix, when the recording is done. However, to filter
unneeded frequencies for speech, that could contain unwanted noise, you
still can use the highpass filter when the recording is done. A common
value is <= 80 Hz, not > 80 Hz. Depending on the source you recorded,
<= 80 Hz already could remove wanted frequencies, too. For human speech
100 Hz might be ok.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-securityink,-cornflower,,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.19.9.arch1-1