[LAU] [Off topic] DIY Theremin

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Dec 31 19:40:23 CET 2018

I started a song and my intention is to include a Theremin sound made
with the Animoog. Actually it's possible to fake a Theremin sound,
_but_ it's more or less impossible to come close to the volume and
pitch abilities of a real Theremin and it's not as easy to play via a
touch screen, as some trivial tests made me believe. It's possible to
fool a listener, who does not know that the composition is made for
the limits of the faked Theremin sound (e.g. by using a LFO to
fake hand movements), but actually, at least for me, it's impossible to
realise what could be done with a real Theremin, by somebody who is
able to play the instrument. I either will not use a faked Theremin or
I'll do postprocessing via the tochscreen using the automation of the
DAW to manipulate a recorded faked Theremin. The result would have
limitations, comparable to playing sampled phrases of a real Theremin.