[LAU] studio prep question.

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Feb 24 06:57:43 CET 2018

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 20:56:32 -0500 (EST)
Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net> wrote:

> I finally have space in my new home to outfit a complete studio.
> I am wondering what you place on your walls to help prevent sound
> from carrying that does not damage the wall itself?
> I share walls with others, so  want to keep the sound in my studio as
> much as possible.

There are various acoustic tiles.  It will depend on what you do.  Bass
frequencies, as mentioned, will pass through.  But then, how much bass
do you need ?  For instance I have a Yamaha HS8 subwoofer but it adds
only a touch in the sub 80Hz frequencies.  It does not blast.  Good
mixes are not done at a loud volume.  And there's no need to have large
speakers that need to be driven to get good sound.  Getting large
speakers and not driving them is worse than getting smaller speakers
that can output a full range through their drivers at regular volume.

The louder the more fatigue it generates for mixing.  This said, it's
nice from time to time to play it loud but then that's a matter of
agreement with everybody else in the house, not a regular basis.

OTOH, if you play saxophone, trumpet, even violin and acoustic guitar,
acoustic tiling can do a certain job of blocking those frequencies.

For instance:

https://acousticalsolutions.com/

Not cheap.  Get more info before moving on.

Cheers.