[LAU] studio prep question.

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Feb 25 21:21:33 CET 2018

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:34:53 +0100
"Manuel Haible" <lacuna_ at gmx.net> wrote:

> A pillar filled with sand as speaker stand. The speaker could sit on
> top of one meter sand. Attached a sketch for visualisation

The only thing with that is twofold: that kind of speakers do not carry
bass frequencies.  The basses are generally carried by a quite heavy
and large subwoofer that sits on the floor. The other aspect is that
for small speakers there are out there on the market 'cushions' that
sits on top of a speaker stand that would absorb any lows, saving
any trouble playing with sand. I do not use any for the HS5 speakers
since there's not much bass coming out of them anyways, most bass comes
out of the HS8s subwoofer.

So the problem would rather be with the subwoofer, for the people
living below.  For me, the audio workplace is in the basement (making
underground music after all) and it's safe to assume that the
neighbours below are roughly at a distance close to the diameter of the
Earth.