[LAU] studio prep question.

Bob Andres bob at andresonline.net
Mon Feb 26 06:38:30 CET 2018

You didn't mention a budget.

I'm in a similar situation, I think.  My band practices in my basement and
my neighbors have a baby.   We have two electric guitars, bass, singer,
drum kit.  Sometimes we play pretty loud!

My approach was to use DIY panels of 2" Roxul Rockboard 80, spaced (where
possible) 2" from the wall.  I didn't bother with bass traps, maybe someday
I will, but currently have too many projects.

I made 2 x 4 frames to support the Roxul.  The finished panels are light,
maybe 8 lbs apiece, and hang on the walls with picture wire and hooks, so
nothing is permanently attached.

Lot's of information on this site where i bought the stuff:

https://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Rockboard-80-Case-of-6--RB80.html

Depending on your budget, you could also use some of the other Roxul
products, some available at one of the big box home improvement stores.

Mine is a relatively small room (maybe 10x12), so I just covered as much of
the walls as possible.  It's pretty effective.   I do some recording,
everyone close mic'd with the full band playing works pretty well.

End result ?   When I asked the neighbors if the band was too loud, and the
answer I got was "oh, you have a band?"

Have fun.

-Bob