[LAU] Major CPU bugs - Was: Christmas present for self.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jan 4 19:43:05 UTC 2018

On 01/04/2018 07:19 PM, Brent Busby wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not the only one who was worried about how this will affect
> possible track count and plugin capacity.  :)

Depends on your DAW. In Ardour's case there is no context-switch. All
tracks, Busses and FX run in the same process. So there won't be any
direct effect.

Low-latency I/O however (soundcard) will see additional overhead, as
will JACK with multiple clients (one context switch per client).

Still, the kernel patch can be disabled (boot option). If the overhead
matters, you can run a dedicated audio-machine, which may even be
offline or be protected otherwise (the exploits depend on being able to
run code on the machine locally).

ciao,
robin