[LAU] How to keep an updated "standard" linux audio system?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 8 17:18:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 08:23:34 -0800 (PST)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> In general, this means back up what you have, install new OS, restore
> at least your home directories, ...

There are perhaps two meanings to this.

1) home directory as in /home/user/

2)"home directories" in a very large sense which can mean for
instance /B/plugins/  /C/samples/  /D/myMusic/  etc...  and are hosted
elsewhere than in /home/  "home" being used very loosely and with no
relation to the directory computer term.  Like "the Earth is my home".

I would advice to leave /home/user/ as much aside as possible.  Rarely
store anything at all in there.  Make other directories on perhaps
other drives, which are accessible by any other Linux system that
machine can boot.  Easier to backup, cleaner to maintain.  Reboot
another Linux OS and all your plugins are still in /B/Plugins/.

The new OS can do anything in /home/usr/, the user would not really
care.  That is, if one does not craft for hours and days a desktop
environment with 100 detailed Pantone colours.  In which case that user
would probably want to back up his 'work'.

Cheers.