[LAU] Does jackd sits on top of ALSA ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 8 23:19:21 UTC 2018

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, jonetsu wrote:

> I've been using jackd fro years and will not change.  I have a question
> which is not important at all.. does jackd sits on top of ALSA or
> besides it ?  In other words can a Linux audio system work with only
> jackd ?  If not, what is the responsibility of ALSA in a system using
> jackd ?

Jackd requires some sort of back end. Most of us use ALSA, but jackd can
also use the ffado for firewire devices, or net for talking with a remote
jackd. There is dummy backend that talks to nothing but provides sync and
makes jackd feel like it has all it needs. Aside from the backend, jackd
can talk with audio devices as clients. I know of four clients like this
(there may be more) alsa_in and also_out which come with jackd allow jackd
to talk to an audio device that may be out of sync with it's backend,
zita-ajbridge is similar but features better quality with less cpu use.
Zita-njbridge connects jackd over the net to another jackd. The last one I
know are a set of utilities that allow jackd to be connected over the
network to an AVB box.

I am sure I have not covered everything...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net