[LAU] Example setup for zita-njbridge in multicast mode?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jan 9 19:55:14 UTC 2018

On Tue, January 9, 2018 12:56 pm, Will Godfrey wrote:
> Does that make a difference? Would a single jack2 server be able to put
> the audio on different cores?

The jackd server is supposed to analyze the connection graph, and if it
finds a string of connections with no dependencies on a separate string of
connections, then it can put those two "strings" (for want of a better
word) of connections on separate cores.
The trick is having connection graphs without any dependencies.  I don't
know how common that is.  I'm actually not sure what constitutes a
dependent connection.  For example, if you have a soft-synth generating
audio and providing that on a jack port, and another soft-synth generating
audio and providing that on a jack port, those two would have no
dependencies.

If the soft-synth MIDI inputs are then both connected to jack MIDI ports
that are coming from the same a2jmidid connection, does that now make them
dependent, and they can't be processed independently?

So back up, assume the soft-synth instances are generating audio
completely independently, e.g. they have their own internal sequencers, if
the outputs are both connected to the same Ardour instance does that then
make them dependent and force onto a single processor?

If the answer to both of the above is yes then I do not know how you could
have independent connection graphs in a realistic system.  If the answer
to either or both is no, that does not make the two soft-synth instances
dependent in the connection graph, then maybe you could get the load to
spread out across cores.

--
Chris Caudle