[LAU] Meltdown – Spectre

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 13 11:54:06 UTC 2018

Hi,

did anybody already compared the latest patched Ubuntu kernels after
booting with and without "nokaiser"?

I don't have time to test if booting with or without "nokaiser" makes
a difference on performance, such SSD access, DSP load or what ever
else [1]. IUUC the KAISER patch set covers Meltdown, but Spectre is
covered by upgrading the package "intel-microcode" [2].

A subscriber of freebsd-questions at freebsd.org send me off-list a German
link about SSD performance issues on Windows machines, caused by fixing
the Meltdown and Spectre issue [3].

However, until now I only added a new menu entry to my bootloader's
config [4], but only had time to boot one time using the other menu
entry without "nokaiser" and without running an audio session or doing
any kind of performance test at all.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-January/293180.html

[2]
https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3531-1/

[3]
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Intel-Benchmarks-zu-Meltdown-Spectre-Performance-sackt-um-bis-zu-10-Prozent-ab-SSD-I-O-deutlich-mehr-3938747.html

[4]
Sorry, I'm not using GRUB.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep \ nokaiser /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    APPEND root=LABEL=moonstudio ro nokaiser

--
$ hwinfo --cpu --short | sort -u
cpu: