[LAU] Real-time percussion modelling 'demo'

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 15 22:48:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:05:18 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> This is superb. The pressure sounds a bit odd, but it makes a nice
> effect. Can the output of the trigger pads be connected to external
> equipment directly or does it only transmit all the necessary data to
> the Wavedrum itself?

There's no other output than audio.  So it's an instrument by itself.
It could be a bit of a puzzle to output MIDI from this.

As an instrument, it is very programmable even though it has only 6
buttons, one knob (volume knob is not used for programming) and a small
3-character 7-segment display.  For instance for tuning there are 4
parameters:

 - pitch of the head algorithm
 - pitch of the head PCM instrument
 - pitch of the rim algorithm
 - pitch of the rim PCM instrument

With each of these there's decay, level, pan, single or double
algorithm, velocity curve, pressure curve, pressure tune, pressure
decay, reverb and delay.  There are also calibrations for head, rim and
pressure.

And then...  for each algorithm, there are adjustable parameters.  For
instance for the Udu single algorithm there's clang pitch, decay,
colour, height, width, type and level, then bell type, thickness and
colour, harmonic shift.

The Triangle algorithm has 4 metal types and 3 pitches.

There are 26 single algorithms and 10 double algorithms.

And then the type of drum skin will affect the sound.  I should change
the one it has soon.

There are 100 instruments and 99 programs.  And if that was not enough,
it can also play 100 pre-programmed percussion loops, to play along.

The Wavedrum debuted in 1994.  That's the one I have. Got it used in
2008 or so. In 2009 the Global Edition was made with better
algorithms, sounds and sensors, and more parameters.

Cheers.