[LAU] Jack - buffers V periods

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jan 19 15:15:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Michael Jarosch wrote:

> Then: What's missing to make pulseaudio being able to handle pro-audio
> (and resolves us from the sound-server-mess :) )?

Pulse looses samples (I don't think it can even make sure left and right
channels have the same number of samples). It is ok for desktop things,
but I think it would need to be redone in everything that matters to be
"pro" usable. Pulse works well as an audio front end to jack if desktop
audio listening while needing sample perfect audio is required.

The PA-jack bridge could really use some love. It needs buffering of some
sort so that jack can run at a lower latency than pulse does. In short,
the pa-jack bridge needs to be redone to look like a device rather than a
bridge.

Still, I have found the PA frontend, jack backend to work very well so
long as pulse can see no real devices (remove the udev module and any alsa
modules from pulse). It will even handle jack gong into freewheel in this
case.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net