[LAU] M-Audio M-Track Eight

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 21 11:44:33 UTC 2018

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:49:18 +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
>Anyone got any experience of this unit. It looks very good (on paper),
>seems to have been in production for about 4 years, and is a very
>attractive price from the usual suspects.
>
>It appears to be class complient, and unlike many others doesn't have
>a lot of internal routing and effects. This suits me fine - no obscure
>windows only software controls!

Hi,

in this price range I would go with the Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL or
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen. Actually I first ordered the
Presonus , but returned it, because of issues with my iPad and then
purchased the Focusrite. As already pointed out by several other posts
to this list, the audio quality of the Presonus as well as of the
Focusrite can't compare to my RME PCIe card, but both work out-of-the
box as class compliant devices with Linux. Usually I'm not using it
with Linux, it's aimed for usage with my iPad, but I tested both devices
with Linux. The Focusrite could be used with lower latencies than the
Presonus, but both could be used without issues using all IOs at the
same time, including the SPDIF and ADAT IOs. So assuming you should own
a good ADAT device, even the semi-pro audio quality of the Presonus or
Focusrite IOs doesn't matter. Unfortunately I only own an ADA8000 just
providing fair to middling audio quality. Can't you order the M-Track
Eight and return it to your dealer, if you shouldn't like it?

Regards,
Ralf

--
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/01/spectre_and_mel_1.html