[LAU] M-Audio M-Track Eight

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 21 22:28:36 UTC 2018

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:26:39 +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
>The Focusrite was my first choice for USB, but the 2ndGen ones
>supposedly need to have the control program run before they can be
>used. As I have only Linux machines that's not possible.

I neither have a Mac, nor a Windows machine, so I can't run the mixer
software. It's no problem to use the Focusrite with its default
settings. IIRC the inputs are not assigned to any outputs, so there is
no hardware monitoring enabled at all. I don't have time to test it and
make sure that I'm not mistaken before next weekend.

>The Presonus looks OK-ish, but I'm not keen on having *all* the inputs
>on the front - I would want 6 inputs permanently plugged into synths.
>Also it's the oldest design, being at least 6 years old, and doesn't
>appear to have individual channel level indication (just activity).

I'm using the Focusrite as a MIDI interface and audio output device for
my iPad. I need to test this, too, but IIRC the meters don't work
without the Mac/Windows software. I wouldn't miss the meters, if I
should use the Focusritre as an input device, something that will
happen soon or later, at least to record guitars.

>The M-Audio one seems to tick all the boxes, but what I don't know is
>what it's actual performance is like, in particular reliability and
>latency.

People located in Europe could order a device by the Internet, test it
and return it within two weeks and would get their money back.

--
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/01/spectre_and_mel_1.html