[LAU] Ubuntu 18.04 can't stop Jack from qjackctl

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:57:52 CEST 2018

Le Sat, 7 Jul 2018 17:27:48 +0000,
Dale Powell <dj_kaza at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> Moved the config file to generate a new one and for now it seems to
> be working, correctly stopping and saved a new config for both
> internal and external. Strange as this hasn't been touched by me for
> at least a month, if not more like two, and was definitely working
> just two weeks ago when I had a gig. Oh well, thanks for all your
> help and I really should have tried that as the first step!

Using gentoo, jackdbus and qjackctl from their source repositories, I
noticed than when updating jack, qjackctl can loose control on jack
if I don't update it at the same time. I also noticed than, to update
both software at the same time is not always enough for qjackctl to
keep control over jack. In that case, the only cure is to remove all the
jack/qjackctl config files in $HOME. It would be great if qjackctl
could be able to do that by itself.

Best,
Dominique

> [...]
>
> "The problem (feature) with the debian jackd2 install of both jackd
> and jackdbus, is that if jack is not running and the user starts an
> application looking for jack, it will start jackd for them by default.
> then qjackctl will not be able to run jackdbus as normal."
>
> I have qjackctl as one of my Startup Applications, starts minimised
> to Tray but is always running well before I could even consider
> opening an audio application so this definitely isn't my issues. I've
> always worked like this.
>
> I didn't think you could change devices, or generally get any of the
> Settings you change to take affect, without Stopping and Starting the
> Jack Server again. Not actually really tested it though. I have two
> saved configs, one for my internal audio, one for my external
> interface. I'd usually - Stop, open Settings, select other Config,
> OK, Start - and everything would be good. Now it hangs when I hit
> Stop, or if it doesn't and looks to have stopped I don't believe it
> really has as I did a test and still got unbroken sound, which I know
> usually dies if I Stop Jack while something is playing through it.
>
> I've tried with the d-bus settings both enabled and disabled with no
> overall joy but have to admit I've always been confused into exactly
> what affect these really have on the system....
>
> Dale.
> ________________________________
> From: Linux-audio-user
> <linux-audio-user-bounces at lists.linuxaudio.org> on behalf of Len
> Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> Sent: 07 July 2018 16:32 To:
> linux-audio-user Subject: Re: [LAU] Ubuntu 18.04 can't stop Jack from
> qjackctl
>
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, Dale Powell wrote:
>
> > Thanks for pointing out jack_control, I should have searched that
> > first rather than brute forcing it with the ugly commands I know.
>
> jackdbus, as I understand things, if a wrapper around jackd. It is
> however, very tightly coupled because it can do things like change the
> master device or sample rate (don't do that) without stopping jack.
> It may be that qjackctl is using this ability when you change
> devices. I have found that I can plugin a USB device and switch
> master to that device without stopping jack and most connections
> (except to system*) stay connetced and the clients don't notice
> anything. However that only seems to work once, trying to switch
> master twice (back to internal so I can pull the plug) seems to
> freeze jackdbus.
>
> certainly pulling the plug while jack is using a USB device has always
> been a problem for me though I know of others who have been able
> change master even after unplugging the device.
>
> I do not recall having this problem in the past. Something to look at
> in the code to see what is different from jackd 1.9.11 and 1.9.12.
>
> > package, not something that has always been like this on 18.04 for
> > me. When did you last do an apt upgrade?
>
> apt update shows: "All packages are up to date."

If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.