[LAU] Jack, onboard souncard and headset

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jul 12 18:02:35 CEST 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund wrote:

> I encountered a small but annoying problem on my Toshiba Sattelite p850
> running an updated version of Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS:
>
> I'm currently in a location without my regular external soundcard
> available and wanted to do some project editing in Ardour.
>
> Running Ardour through jack outputs sound to my onboard speakers,
> however it would be convenient to listen through my headset while doing
> this. But speakers and headset turns silent as soon as I connect the
> headphone jack.

Two things depending on which way your laptop works. Some internal audio
setups will show the speakers (sometimes labeled "Front") and headphones
as two levels and just turning up the level you need will fix this. Others
don't. In this case try looking at this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=983667#p983667

Using hda_analyzer to find out which pins your system uses seems to be the
hardest part.

> I'd be thankful for any input that might point me in the right direction.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alf

Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net