[LAU] AVL2018 first impressions

Dale Powell dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:48:59 CEST 2018

Hi list.

Are people actually using the new AVL? I was quite happy to see it resurrected but so far first impressions really are not good!

So you select the Installer option, rather than run live, and it still prompts you to log in, so have to exit, track down the manual and get the username and password. This is just silly!

It wasn't added to Grub so I had to boot into my old install and run a update-grub to even be able to load it up.

Touchpad scroll doesn't work, not even after removing the xorg-libinput driver to make sure it is using the synaptics driver which is required for most touchpad functions to work in XFCE. This basically makes it unusable!

None of the dark themes correctly change the windows decorations with the title bar always remaining light.

Doesn't prompt for locale settings on install and there is no language and locale in the Settings.

My root password works fine when issuing commands (such as apt update) in the terminal but it does not accept it as being the correct password when trying the GUI settings features such as those found in AV Linux Assistant (also tried the default one from the manual and that doesn't work either.) Tried at least 20 times!

And this is just what I've found in 10 minutes! Am I missing something or is it really a pretty much unusable distro??

Hopefully I'm just missing something or for some reason my experience is exceptional.....

Regards, Dale.