[LAU] AVL2018 first impressions

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Jul 22 19:34:46 CEST 2018

Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> writes:

> On 07/22/2018 06:14 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> writes:
>>
>>> You only mentioned language and locales. Those are independent and
>>> separate of the keyboard layout, so I misunderstood what you meant.
>>>
>>> and yes, keyboard layouts should be configurable. but locales not so
>>> much.
>>
>> The wrong time zone leads to bad file metadata.  When you do automated
>> processing with, say, Make and have created files with a future data,
>> stuff will not work amicably.
>>

> Why do you think this would be affected by the unix locale?

UNIX filesystems store in UTC, realtime clocks tend to be set in local
time by default (or UTC if you don't dual-boot and are not interested in
having to adjust for daylight saving time), MSDOS filesystems (as used
in camera media etc) store in local time.

> Also when you change timezones, only the display changes, not the
> timestamp of files on disk.

Depending on the file system and whether or not your RTC is set to UTC
or (more often) local time.

> I never had issues with gnu/make using the localtime, it uses stat,
> unix-time (UTC).

But time does not fall from the trees.

--
David Kastrup