[LAU] AVL2018 first impressions

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Mon Jul 23 17:29:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm Glen the maintainer of AVL..

Uhm yes, lots of people use it and some are even slightly happy with
it...: b

I don't know where you downloaded from but most of the preliminary
info you've missed is all on the actual project website, any posts by
me about releases will always point to the website:
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ All info about passwords and secure
checksums are found there.

As stated on the site, AV Linux is created with 'Systemback' and
therefore requires the username and password to login, I'm not a
'proper' developer or Linux guru of any kind, I work full time (and
then some in the summer months) in a business that has absolutely
nothing to do with computers and I'm also a part-time musician and
studio owner, AV Linux is totally a spare time project and they ain't
making any more spare time! : ). I've used Linux for music production
for more than a decade and merely am trying to share a working system
with the 3rd party tools at hand. As with any project spread over
(literally) thousands of users some people will have flawless installs
and superlative hardware support and others will wonder aloud how
could anyone possibly use such a piece of crap... The web is full of
forums with popular projects that echo the same diversity of
experience.

As for the touchpad issue try commenting out "options psmouse
proto=imps" in /etc/modprobe.d/ reboot and see if that changes
anything. That is the only customization relating to touchpads in AV
Linux, other than that any web seaches on touchpads in Debian Linux
should shed some light. AV Linux is simply Debian Stretch with a
custom Kernel and a layer of customization relating to Audio
production and system tweaks..

Also please join the AV Linux forum here:
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php

I don't check LAU regularly and just happened to see this today, also
answers on the forum are dictated by the volunteer availability of
myself and other users and it's summer holidays in the northern
hemisphere so be patient for answers..

Lastly rgareus is partially correct that AV Linux is designed to
install and create without any further intervention but the most
recent versions (2016, 2017, 2018) are fully intended to be as
upgradable and customizable as any Debian Linux would be.

Best Regards, Glen MacArthur - AV Linux Maintainer