[LAU] Streaming setup with OBS and JACK

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Jul 26 10:04:51 CEST 2018

On 2018-07-26 08:52, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:

> The question is how that works nowadays. To the best of my knowledge
> both JACK and PA require full access to the audio interface and are
> mutually exclusive.

PulseAudio can be configured not to use the audio interface (it can
still handle all other audio hardware in the system) and use Jack
instead (Jack would work like another sound card in PulseAudio).

You can use Cadence to configure Jack and PulseAudio this way or
configure it manually or via some scripts. It is not trivial, but once
it works it works quite well.

At my home laptop PulseAudio handles the built-in sound card directly
and Jack takes care of the external USB interface. PulseAudio also has
Jack source and sink configured, so I can route desktop audio to the USB
interface (via jack) whenever I want.

On another machine I have just one sound card and I switch it between
PulseAudio and Jack.

Jacek