[LAU] Criticism (was: A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack])

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jul 30 15:07:52 CEST 2018

jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 22:57:37 -0400
> Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Greets,

>> > Oh good god, that is totally unlistenable. I barely got through
>> > three seconds of it.
>
>> I felt bad until I saw that the URL you referred to had nothing to do
>> with my track.
>
> Really ?  Feeling bad because someone would write something like this
> about some music you made ?  Really ?  Isn't that very far away for all
> notions of nei gong ?  Of inner peace.

Why announce it if you didn't care how it would affect others?
Particularly on a list of insiders?

The last major completed work of J. S. Bach, the "Great Catholic Mass in
B minor" is a bit of a puzzler in that regard.  Utterly unperformable
(wrong church for the composer, wrong rite for the century even if you
went to the right church, too large for private performances and too
sacred for concert halls) and several composers of renown likely held a
cherished copy.  Dissemination too wide to be a mere accident (other
works like the Musical Offering or the Brandenburg concerti almost
disappeared in spite of being more in line with the times), purpose
questionable.

I suspect that the initial distribution might have been via a composers'
mailing list.  Or what has passed for it in the 18th century.

I doubt it would not have affected him if someone replied "Johann
Sebastian, that is totally unlistenable.  I barely got through three
seconds of it." on the list (even though what happens with the tonality
in the "Confiteor" when its ars antiqua fugue runs into the "Et expecto"
like a locomotive engine into zero gravity is somewhat out of the
ordinary).  But there were likely fewer list members anyway.  And he did
not survive long enough for a flamewar in that medium either.

--
David Kastrup