[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jun 1 10:35:32 CEST 2018

On 05/31/2018 09:10 AM, Atte wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2018 10:45:41 +0200
> David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> What does "made on Linux" even mean?
>
> Good point!

Hmm, for me, "made on Linux" makes me expect anything but the usual
commercial music. I don't think we have many musicians on the list whose
obsession is to make the same music that's already on the Pop 40 lists. ;)

I think choosing to use Linux brings with it a different attitude, a
determined independence, that someone who chooses Windows or OS X might
not have. There might be more Linux users interested in making their own
music hardware, such as building things with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.
There may also be more of an interest in the low-level parts of sound
making, vs a Windows musician who just listens through sample libraries
until they find a sample they want to use.

But I also think, "Does it really matter which brand of hammer or saw
was used to build this house?" It's the result that matters, right?

My brother-in-law's a contractor and carpenter. He has a truckful of
professional-calibre tools for his work. I have only a small toolbox and
a handsaw. While I certainly couldn't build a house the way he can, I
can learn from him how to make professional-looking bookshelves using
what I have.

I am interested in how people on the list get to the sounds they build,
because I like to learn how to make them, too. Even if their process
included something on Windows/Mac, I've always been more inclined
toward, "That's a great [sound|image] you came up with, how'd you do
it?" Then I try to figure out how to do it with the tools I have.

> That's why I don't really post my music round here anymore.

A bummer - but you have the links in your sig. And thanks for the
patches, too! :)

> Cheers

Rah rah sis boom bah! Pip pip hurrah! I don't know any Danish cheers, so
you'll just have to insert your own cheer to make it three cheers.

Happy music making, all!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com