[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jun 1 21:36:52 CEST 2018

jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:

> On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 17:32:35 +0200
> David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> In order to keep it to that, what is "Linux-made"?  Is it
>
>> "At (all?) relevant stages of composing, creating, recording, editing
>> and producing where a general-purpose operating system was utilized
>> to a significant degree, it was running on a Linux kernel"?  That
>> would include Android: should this be more confined by "and a GNU
>> userland"?
>>
>> A dependable definition would go a far way towards keeping the thread
>> constrained to Linux-made music.
>
> Made (created) in such a way that Linux is the operating system used
> for all the software components involved in the process to run.

Considering how hard the task of finding a computer without "proprietary
blobs" is even for people like Stallman even when looking only at
rewritable storage, that would likely rule out almost all productions.
Things like disk controllers and USB hubs and keyboard controllers all
run their little software components and operating systems.

There is a reason I put "general-purpose operating system" in my
specification.

> Then, people might ask, why make it a point ?  People are not saying
> "made with Windows" after all.  It is then that what makes Linux
> different comes through and it is why the point is made.  One of those
> differences is that Linux is an Open and free operating system with no
> hidden software parts basically.  It is not a proprietary OS owned by
> a company.  That point only makes a large difference as a statement,
> as a choice, perhaps even as a political statement.

So if I use, say, a Solton MS-40 (a device released in 1994 or so, so
not actually predating Linux as such but at least its usefulness for
such a device) for my arranger or even Midi expander tasks but use Linux
for my DAW purposes, the music is not Linux-made.  Even when I don't use
the arranger but just the Midi expander?

Using an acoustic accordion allows me to stay "Linux-made" while
connecting the same accordion with a Midi interface (that has its own
firmware in EPROM, no less) to my Linux computer then precludes
"Linux-made"?

And if I only use acoustic instruments but record using a DAW on Linux,
the result is "Linux-made" as long as I don't use a soundcard with its
own firmware?

> That synths being used, DAWs, etc.. are full-fledged commercial
> products does not matter.

What happened to "Linux is the operating system used for all the
software components involved in the process to run."?  I may just not
understand what "involved in the process to run" means here.

> By choosing Linux a (creative) statement is made.

So far I have no clear picture of what "choosing Linux" means _outside_
of just making this as a (creative) statement.

--
David Kastrup