[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 2 10:36:59 CEST 2018

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 19:59:47 -1000, david wrote:
>I tolerate the walled garden on my Android tablet because I like some
>of the free software on it (Caustic, Ensemble Composer, ArtFlow,
>Simplemind Free) and there's no Linux tablet OS.
>
>How about you?

I'm using a Linux tower PC as well as an iPad. The music software for an
iPad isn't for free as in beer, but a lot of very good software and
sound libraries are always inexpensive, while other at least are
inexpensive during the Black Friday week. Export/import of MIDI and
audio files between the Linux tower PC and the iPad is no issue at all.

A minor issues of the iPad is the end of life for the iOS support and a
serious issue is that the power supply unit can't replace the battery,
so after a few hours of making music, it takes more than an hour to
load the battery.

I own several stand-alone synth and effects, but I replace most by
virtual synth and effects usually with synth and effects running on the
iPad. The Linux PC doesn't provide all required synth and effects.

Since I'm a guitarist, much important are the facilities of my electric
guitars. For example, when using modeling while listening by
headphones instead of using a real amp, what ever modeling should be
used, either provided by Linux, the iPad or by a GR-55, it makes a
difference what guitar I'm using, not just regarding the unique sound
of the guitar, but especially of a feature that completes what ever
modeling is used. One of my electric guitars has got a Sustainiac.

Btw. both of my electric guitars have got a hex PU. The hex PU is not
only important when using the GR-55 as a MIDI instrument, it improves
modeling a lot.

Depending on the music, some parts of the music could be done by using
internal instruments and effects, without even using a MIDI instrument
to record MIDI events. However, at some point a musician needs at
least a MIDI instrument. It could make a big difference if we are
playing good weighted keys, real guitar strings and a good guitar neck,
etc. or if we are just using an elCheapo
keyboard-guitar-sax-whatsoever-fake-MIDI-thingy. This could be much
more important, than the used operating system.

All the times there were and still are "sound tinkerers" who do not need
a "classical instrument" and sometimes those "sound tinkerers" make
really good music, but most of the times they are just bungler.

A studio in the box with an orchestra in the box is something nice to
have, but apart from so called "sound tinkerers" the used operating
system is more or less irrelevant.

A Fender Stratocaster alike guitar does sound different to a Gibson Les
Paul alike guitar and due to e.g. a different length of the scale it
feels different to play those guitars. A recording of one of those
guitars, should sound all the same, what ever operating system we are
using and it also should be in the same way comfortable to record and
edit, independent of the used operating system.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-securityink,-cornflower,,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.16.13-1