[LAU] Some disturbing news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 2 10:56:51 CEST 2018

Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> writes:

> I am not sure I understand. What's wrong with Skype or LinkedIn? I don't
> see them becoming worse after Microsoft acquired them. If anything, Skype
> for Linux finally got some love.

No more end-to-end encryption or connection, no more communication using
standard protocols (locking Ekiga out).  Basically everything you do via
Skype is now NSA-available.

> As for Nokia, I worked at Nokia at the time the acquisition was
> happening.  I can tell you that Nokia's downfall has nothing to do
> with Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft tried to save the brand and created
> the beautiful Windows Phone. It eventually failed because they were
> not able to convince 3rd party developers to port apps for a 3rd
> ecosystem. But I assure you, being bought by Microsoft gave Nokia one
> more chance and saved the jobs of many-many people at the time.
>
> So, I still don't understand what's disturbing about Microsoft buying
> anything. Acquisitions happen, and Microsoft is just a large company.

Not just any large company.  When is the last time you have read a
Microsoft EULA _completely_ (including supplemental material like their
privacy policy) before clicking "I agree"?  Because, you know, that will
take a few days by now.  More if you want to figure out what
consequences your agreement may have.

--
David Kastrup