[LAU] Some disturbing news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 2 13:32:27 CEST 2018

"Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> writes:

> * David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> [2018-06-02 10:49]:
>> Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> writes:
>>
>> > I've just read on The Register that there are discussions between
>> > GitHub and Microsoft, with a possible buy-out by Microsoft. I really
>> > can't think of a worse possibility :(
>>
>> I can.  A buyout by Oracle.  Though Oracle tends to kill projects fast
>> enough not to take everyone's enthusiasm with them and so replacements
>> pop up.  Microsoft tends to just sap all joy out and eventually people
>> don't know why they ever cared and are too tired to create something
>> new.
>>
>> But basically that's what startups and venture capital are for: build a
>> business until it's large and robust convincing enough that one of the
>> established big players will pay big money in order to never hear of it
>> again.
>
> I am surprised people saw something different in github than it being
> a buisness.  If you want independence set up your own gitlab
> servers. Linuxaudio.org would be a cool spot for it.

It could likely make LilyPond an offer they could not refuse...  The
last idea was to migrate the GoogleCode/Rietveld setup to Allura but due
to time constraints for setting up the own server structure (I think the
last problem was setting up a mail server) by volunteers with little
experience, it moved the issue tracker to SourceForge instead
"temporarily" where it has been stuck ever since, keeping the code
review on Rietveld, and using Savannah (as before) for its actual Git
repository.

Oh, and download via linuxaudio.org which has been shut down by now
since the LilyPond accounts had been compromised.

--
David Kastrup