[LAU] Some disturbing news

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:37:45 CEST 2018

"I have received many 'add' requests from people who left the company in
one way or the other, people that I have spoken briefly with once, maybe
twice.  Which I haven't obliged to, of course.  First, I do not have a
linkedin account and if I did, why would I add people I do not know ? It
means nothing at all at best, and in the worse cases can be detrimental."

jonetsu, I think there is a misunderstanding here on what LinkedIn users
are trying to achieve when adding connections.

The point is to grow a network and utilize the networking effect on your
career. This is a big numbers game. And it makes sense to add people even
if you are not best buddies. LinkedIn is not Facebook and serves a
different purpose.

Imagine you are a software development, a person you barely spoke to adds
you on LinkedIn and you accept. Later on in this guy's company they are
searching for a software developer. This person thinks of you because they
sometimes see automated LinkedIn events mentioning you (like you having a
birthday or a work anniversary, which happens automatically). They then
write you on LinkedIn about this job opportunity. And you may find it
actually interesting and go to that job.

Of course, it really matters who you are adding, but generally it is a good
bet that people you've worked with in the past could be your network,
potentially useful in the future.

Will it always work? Of course not. But will the increase in your
professional network generally increase your chances to hear about
interesting projects, jobs or professional events? You bet. I have been
helped by LinkedIn contacts in the past quite considerably.

Having said that, LinkedIn has specific functionality that allows you to
decline an invitation and also mark it with "I don't know this person". So,
it's very different from Facebook and LinkedIn allows you to tak your
connections seriously and filter who you want in your professional network.

"As a result, I look like a spammer in return  because I can neither
communicate with contacts there, let alone accept invitations from
professional associates."

Karen, I don't understand. What keeps you from communicating with contacts
or accepting invitations from associates? And why would communication with
contacts there should make you look like a spammer?