[LAU] Some disturbing news

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sun Jun 3 20:30:18 CEST 2018

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, at 18:45, David Kastrup wrote:
> Well, one example in the music business is the notation program Sibelius
> letting itself be acquired by Avid.  Then Avid got into liquidity
> problems and decided to bleed Sibelius dry for what it's worth, firing
> all of the British development team

There's an interesting practical (if not moral) sequel to this, in that many of the active Sibelius team were then hired by Steinberg to make a program to replace Sibelius, called Dorico. I don't know how well it's doing commercially, but it's a phenomenally impressive application technically. I can imagine (from the developers' perspective) that being hired to surpass your own work, in a context in which that felt like the just thing to do, could be very motivating.

Chris