[LAU] Some disturbing news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jun 4 12:11:32 CEST 2018

Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> writes:

[Lots of strawmen deleted]

> But no. Corporations are not victims. But they are not evil either.
> Definitely not to the extent that Stallman paints them to be.

They are the driving force behind legislative moves increasingly locking
away and monetizing creative works, often against the explicit will of
the authors themselves.

> And that simply creates an environment which makes it more difficult
> to enact measures and regulation that will help.

Yeah sure.  The lack of a sane copyright regulation is the fault of
Stallman because of arguing for freedom, not the fault of the billions
of dollars poured into lobbyism in order to not make it so.

At any rate, Stallman's work has contributed more to Linux audio being a
thing than Microsoft's work has, so picking Microsoft as your champion
on this list seems more out of whack with sanity than picking Stallman,
and that is saying something.

I definitely would want to see Stallman wrong more often: his
predictions are so bleak.  But reality does not do me that favor all
that often.

--
David Kastrup